The Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
Commission on Social Justice and Human Concerns
March 29, 2022
The members of the Commission on Social Justice and Human Concerns expresses deep appreciation and gratitude to President Joe Biden and his administration for keeping his campaign promise to nominate an African American woman to become an Associate Justice on the United States Supreme Court. Whereas, he and his team had countless numbers of able and qualified African American women to choose from. We believe by God’s grace his selection of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is the right choice at this time.
The African American community and the nation as a whole ought to be filled with joy at this impending confirmation. Since the announcement of Judge Jackson’s selection, she has been a study in “grace under fire” as opponents have sought every possible means and venues to discredit her, minimize her preparation and contributions to the legal community, challenge her faith, and her fitness for the Supreme Court. She has taken it all in stride. We have seen her brought to tears; but not distracted. We have seen her ability to not to play the games with mean-spirited Republican Senators and their left-field questioning.
As the confirmation hearings have concluded, we the members of the Commission on Social Justice and Human Concerns are urging members of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church to boldly stand with Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson by doing the following:
1) Pray for Judge Jackson and her family.
2) Pray for her confirmation and that God would move on the hearts of the members of the United States Senate to affirm her historic nomination thereby placing on the United States Supreme Court its first African American female Associate Justice. God knows and you and I know, it’s time!
3) We encourage every CME congregation to provide to its members with the names and contact information for their United States Senators.
4) We ask every member of the CME Church to begin immediately contacting their Senators urging their support of the confirmation of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the United States Supreme Court.
5) Start now making plans to vote in the upcoming local and state elections.
We the members of the Commission on Social Justice and Human Concerns appreciate your support and prayers as we are believing God for the confirmation of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the United States Supreme Court. Thank you for standing with the Commission as we together stand with Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.
The Commission on Social Justice and Human Concerns:
Bishop C. James King, Jr., Chair Bishop Marvin Frank Thomas, Sr., Vice-Chair
Reverend Peris Lester I Dr. Amariah McIntosh
Reverend Richard McDuffie Reverend Charles Penson
Reverend Troy Johnson Reverend Larry Fryer
Reverend Gregory King, Sr. Reverend Brian T. Lightner
Dr. LeRoy Haynes, Jr. Reverend KoKo Daniel
Reverend Daniel Ouma