Dr. Clifford Harris General Secretary, Lay Ministry
The Department of Lay Ministry, one of ten (10) General Departments within the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, is led by General Secretary, Dr. Clifford L. Harris.
The Department aids the CME Church in equipping and enabling her members to engage in effective ministry in the Name of Jesus Christ by focusing on The Laos (the whole people of God). The Department, thus, develops information and promotes initiatives that will strengthen and empower “God’s People” to provide meaningful and effective ministry, particularly at the local level of the church. By promoting the Lay Ministry Beliefs of Studying, Seeking, Sharing, and Serving, the Department of Lay Ministry seeks to live out its mission to “Reach, Teach, and Minister to All of God's People, - Equipping Them For Greater Works and Service For Him.”
The Department utilizes the efforts of the Connectional Lay Ministry Council, Connectional Stewards, Connectional Stewardesses, and Connectional Ushers to further assist God’s people enhance and develop their service capacities. The General Secretary provides oversight and leadership for the President of the: Connectional Lay Ministry Council; Connectional Steward Ministry; Connectional Stewardess Ministry; and Connectional Usher Ministry.
MEET THE CONNECTIONAL MINISTRY PRESIDENTS
- Connectional Lay Ministry - Mrs. Barbara Campbell
- Connectional Steward Ministry - Mr. Freddie McKnight, President
- Connectional Stewardess Ministry - Mrs. Jolinda Dugger
- Connectional Usher Ministry - Ms. Diana Winton
LAY MINISTRY UPDATES, INFORMATION AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
September 2019 Lay Ministry Update
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE STANDING COMMITTEE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LAY MINISTRY (SEPTEMBER 2016)
LAY MINISTRY RESOURCES
- Lay Membership Card
- Lay Ministry Charter Ceremony
- Lay Ministry Charter
- Lay Ministry Officers Installation Ceremony
- Lay Ministry Lapel Pin Enhanced Pin Design and Meaning
- The Meaning of the Traditional Lay Ministry Logo
LAY MINISTRY PUBLICATIONS, TEACHING, and TRAINING RESOURCES
- Mission and Ministry Efforts Beyond the Borders of the United States: How Can You Help?
- Tithing: A Personal Act of Faith and Commitment
- Saving a Generation Through Education and Career Development..."What Does the Church Have To Do With It?
- Developing Rock Solid Essential Ministries
- Understanding the Purpose and Function of Lay Ministry, the Lay Leader and the Lay Ministry Council
- Developing Mature Members
- Understanding and Appreciating Our Zion
- "Essentials for An Essential Church"
- The Trustee: "Essentials for Effective 21st Century Ministry in the CME Church"
- "Laity Being Essential Within an Essential Church" - Stepping Up Our Game to Reach the Masses in the 21st Century
- Building Up the Church
- Lay Ministry Action Plan 2014
- Lay Department History & Overview
- District Lay Council Zones
- Helping Hands: Mission and Ministry
- Helping Hands: The Role of Laity in An Essential Church (Revised)
- Helping Hands: Building Unity Amidst Diversity
- Helping Hands: Knowledge and Best Practices for Worship Leaders
- Helping Hands: A Special Bulletin for Youth, Young Adults and Entry Levels Workers
- The Steward Ministry: In Principle and in Practice
- The Local Trustee Board: Nomination, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Ministering Effectively to All of God's Children
- The Power of Sunday School
- The Struggle of Men as Godly Examples
- Young Christians in the WorkPlace Learning How to Succeed and Win
- Approaching the Lord's Table: The Preparation for and receiving of The Holy Communion - What Worshipers Should Responsibly Know, Understand, and Embrace
- Appreciating the CME Doorkeeper: The Usher's Duty and the Worshipper's Responsibility
- Jump Start Your Organization ~Quick Reference~ For Effective Local Lay Ministry
- When I Need Direction or When My Spirit Needs Encouraging, Where Do I Turn?
- A Mix for Effective and Sustaining Christian Leadership: Four Basic Ingredients
- From Good to Great: Sharing our Faith
- Regular Bible Study: It's Good for the Soul
- The Role of Laity in the Local Church
- Order of Worship
- Tithing - Let's Get Personal
- History of the CME Church