Dr. Clifford Harris General Secretary, Lay Ministry
The Department of Lay Ministry, one of ten (10) General Departments within the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, is led by General Secretary, Dr. Clifford L. Harris.
The Department aids the CME Church in equipping and enabling her members to engage in effective ministry in the Name of Jesus Christ by focusing on The Laos (the whole people of God). The Department, thus, develops information and promotes initiatives that will strengthen and empower “God’s People” to provide meaningful and effective ministry, particularly at the local level of the church. By promoting the Lay Ministry Beliefs of Studying, Seeking, Sharing, and Serving, the Department of Lay Ministry seeks to live out its mission to “Reach, Teach, and Minister to All of God's People, - Equipping Them For Greater Works and Service For Him.”
The Department utilizes the efforts of the Connectional Lay Ministry Council, Connectional Stewards, Connectional Stewardesses, and Connectional Ushers to further assist God’s people enhance and develop their service capacities. The General Secretary provides oversight and leadership for the President of the: Connectional Lay Ministry Council; Connectional Steward Ministry; Connectional Stewardess Ministry; and Connectional Usher Ministry.
MEET THE CONNECTIONAL MINISTRY PRESIDENTS
- Connectional Lay Ministry - Mrs. Barbara Campbell
- Connectional Steward Ministry - Mr. Freddie McKnight, President
- Connectional Stewardess Ministry - Mrs. Jolinda Dugger
- Connectional Usher Ministry - Ms. Diana Winton
LAY MINISTRY UPDATES, INFORMATION AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
September 2020 Lay Ministry Update
- Discipleship in Real Time: Responding to the Call to Action!” Click Here to view flyer.
- The Graham/Webb/Kennedy Scholarship (Click Here to retrieve the contribution form).
- The Connectional Usher Day Letter / Connectional Usher Day Litany) are two (2) items of communication from Connectional Usher Ministry President, Ms. Diana Winton, relative to Connectional Usher Ministry Day, September 13th.
- Click Here to access a request from the Connectional Trustee Ministry Interim President, Attorney Barbara Bouknight.
May 2020 Lay Ministry Update from Dr. Clifford L. Harris 1) By clicking here access information from Dr. Barbara C. Campbell, President of the Connectional Lay Ministry Council, related the 2020 Census, along with primary and early voting for the 2020 elections. 2) The 2020 Graham-Webb- Kennedy Scholarship Application can be accessed by clicking here. Funding will be for the 2020-2021 academic year. You can also find the application in the May and June issues of the Christian Index. March 2020 Lay Ministry Update
Graham/Webb/Kennedy Scholarship Fund: Click here to see the list of contributors. We are still accepting contributions for the 2019-2020 giving period through March 31, 2020. Continue to make checks payable to Graham/Webb/Kennedy Scholarship and mail to my office at the address below.
Calling All Lay Leaders: Join Dr. Harris for a conference call on THURSDAY, MARCH 26, 2020 AT 8:00 P.M., CENTRAL STANDARD TIME. The Call in Number is (712) 775-7035 and the Access Code is 998722#. Please have your Lay Ministry Manual available. Note: If you call in after the conference conversation has started, so that we do not have to continue to stop and start, please do not announce yourself.
Please click here to access suggestions from Dr. Barbara C. Campbell, President of the Connectional Lay Ministry Council, related to absentee voting and ideas for helping youngsters who are out of school during the COVID-19 crisis.
The 2020 Graham-Webb- Kennedy Scholarship Application can be accessed by clicking here (Funding will be for the 2020-2021 academic year). The Application will also appear in the May and June issues of the Christian Index.January 2020 Lay Ministry Update
- LITANY -MLK DAY CELEBRATION - Provided by Dr. Barbara Campbell
- GWK CONTRIBUTORS 2019-2020
- RESOLUTION - Bishop Edward Lynn Brown
- RESOLUTION - Retired Senior Bishop William Graves
- Graham/Webb/Kennedy Scholarship Fund
- Interim President of the Connectional Trustee Ministry: Attorney Barbara Bouknight
- True Leadership by Ms. Diana Winton, President of the Connectional Usher Ministry
- Lay Membership Card
- Lay Ministry Charter Ceremony
- Lay Ministry Charter
- Lay Ministry Officers Installation Ceremony
- Lay Ministry Lapel Pin Enhanced Pin Design and Meaning
- The Meaning of the Traditional Lay Ministry Logo
- Mission and Ministry Efforts Beyond the Borders of the United States: How Can You Help?
- Tithing: A Personal Act of Faith and Commitment
- Saving a Generation Through Education and Career Development..."What Does the Church Have To Do With It?
- Developing Rock Solid Essential Ministries
- Understanding the Purpose and Function of Lay Ministry, the Lay Leader and the Lay Ministry Council
- Developing Mature Members
- Understanding and Appreciating Our Zion
- "Essentials for An Essential Church"
- The Trustee: "Essentials for Effective 21st Century Ministry in the CME Church"
- "Laity Being Essential Within an Essential Church" - Stepping Up Our Game to Reach the Masses in the 21st Century
- Building Up the Church
- Lay Ministry Action Plan 2014
- Lay Department History & Overview
- District Lay Council Zones
- Helping Hands: Mission and Ministry
- Helping Hands: The Role of Laity in An Essential Church (Revised)
- Helping Hands: Building Unity Amidst Diversity
- Helping Hands: Knowledge and Best Practices for Worship Leaders
- Helping Hands: A Special Bulletin for Youth, Young Adults and Entry Levels Workers
- The Steward Ministry: In Principle and in Practice
- The Local Trustee Board: Nomination, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Ministering Effectively to All of God's Children
- The Power of Sunday School
- The Struggle of Men as Godly Examples
- Young Christians in the WorkPlace Learning How to Succeed and Win
- Approaching the Lord's Table: The Preparation for and receiving of The Holy Communion - What Worshipers Should Responsibly Know, Understand, and Embrace
- Appreciating the CME Doorkeeper: The Usher's Duty and the Worshipper's Responsibility
- Jump Start Your Organization ~Quick Reference~ For Effective Local Lay Ministry
- When I Need Direction or When My Spirit Needs Encouraging, Where Do I Turn?
- A Mix for Effective and Sustaining Christian Leadership: Four Basic Ingredients
- From Good to Great: Sharing our Faith
- Regular Bible Study: It's Good for the Soul
- The Role of Laity in the Local Church
- Order of Worship
- Tithing - Let's Get Personal
- History of the CME Church